i think i may be having a life crisis
Amazing for the sheer amount of work I did last year. Well, there will be a lot of publications in 2011, I guess. I hope you're ready for it.
I need more time to write short fiction; it's piling up here, and I can't get my head wrapped around any of it. But January is slated for processing/research time, which should help. I have a short due at the end of February, so it had better help a lot.
But if you're of a mind for nominating things and you want a nominating list, here's what I published in 2010:
- Lots of Shadow Unit, which is probably eligible for all sorts of weird catchall categories as a complete self ("Best website" and "Best semiprozine," among others. (Is there a "Best Serial" anywhere? No?) I think Emma and I probably count as editors as far as that's concerned, too.)
- Specifically, the complete episodes that had my hand in them as writer were The Unicorn Evils, "Spell 81a," and "Uniform," which are respectively, a short novel and two novellas.
- Chill. Science fiction novel, and don't listen to anybody who tries to tell you it's a fantasy. ;-)
- Chicks Dig Time Lords, in which I have an essay, is eligible for best nonfiction, or best related work, or what have you.
- Ideomancer is a semiprozine. I am one of the editors there.
- METAtropolis: Cascadia is eligible as an anthology, I would guess, and definitely as a Dramatic Work. It's an audio-only anthology, and I think frankly this second collection is even stronger than the first.
Also, my story, "Confessor," is eligible as a novelette.
- Bone and Jewel Creatures is eligible as a novella. And yeah, I know, hard to find.
There was a MMPB publication of By the Mountain Bound, but the HC came out last year and is so ineligible.
I have this sense that I'm forgetting something, but it might just be my head. Remind me to keep better track
Here's what I know I have coming out in 2011, for your reference
January: "Dolly," Asimov's, short story.
January? February?: The White City, Subterranean. Trade hard cover: there's some argument as to whether this is a long novella or a short novel. Limited edition includes a chapbook of "Twilight," a novelette.
1 February: The Sea thy Mistress. Tor, trade hardcover
6 February: "Ligature," Shadow Unit novella
22 February: Grail. Spectra, mass market paperback and ebook
March: Whedonistas, an essay collection of women appreciating the work of Joss Whedon in the vein of Chicks Dig Time Lords, also edited by Lynne Thomas and Deborah Stanish. My essay is entitled, "We're here to save you."
June: "The Romance," in Supernatural Noir, a Datlow-edited anthology forthcoming from Dark Horse
5 July: Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy, anthology edited by Ellen Datlow, containing my novelette "King Pole, Gallows Pole, Bottle Tree."
16 August: The Tempering of Men. With Sarah Monette. Tor, trade hardcover
September: Blood and Other Cravings, anthology edited by Ellen Datlow, containing my short story "Needles."
? "The Hand is Quicker--" in a Dozois-edited Subterranean anthology I do not yet know the name of.
? "Veronique is Visiting from Paris," a multimedia niftiness with kylecassidy that should be available sometime soonish
And here's my to-do list for 2011
The book proposal currently known as Gotham Jazz.
Modern Fae story: ("Patience & Fortitude" (or possibly otherwise The Mighty Drag Werewolf story)) March 1, 2011
Realms of Fantasy column: March 1, 2011
ad eternum and "Underground" (New Amsterdam IV & chapbook): March 30, 2011
The Shaded King (Bone and Jewel Creatures II): April 30, 2011
Shattered Pillars: November 2, 2011
An Apprentice to Elves: December 1, 2011 (with truepenny)
SF Horror story ("Form & Void"): December 25, 2011
...you know, all in one place, that looks so much easier than 2010 I can already feel my blood pressure dropping.
Secrit Projekt: January 11-12 2011
World Horror Convention (barcon only): April 28-May 1 2011
Leprecon 37: May 6-8 2011
KGB reading: May 18 2011
Eurocon: June 17-19 2011 (barring volcanoes)
Fourth Street Fantasy Conversation: June 23-26 2011
Odyssey: July 1, 2011
Clarion: July 10-16, 2011
Viable Paradise: October 7-16, 2011
Okay, that's a little steep.
Steles of the Sky : November 2012
No fixed deadline:
"Möbius Heart" (which has subsumed REZ at this point, and may take its name)
"The Deeps of the Sky" (formerly known as "Seed")
Smile (unless its name is actually Salt Water)
"Untitled Space Opera Thingy"
"The Slaughtered Lamb"
"The Death of Terrestrial Radio"
"On Safari in R'lyeh and Carcosa with Gun and Camera"
Right, that's my livejournal used as a post-it board. And on that note, I think I will take the dog for a walk. Which means finding some shoes and a coat.