Twenty comments directed at people I know. You get to decide which one(s) are yours, if any.
1. It is like having a baby. Not, as some people say, because of all the planning and nurturing and wanting and working, but because you push and push and scream and push and push and you're sure it's going to tear you in half, but you can't quit partway, and then wham slide boom it's over, and you look back on it panting and go "That was it? I thought there would be a parade." And then you go, "Well, that wasn't as bad as I expected," but that's because you start lying to yourself about how bad it was right away.
2. Virtue untested is no virtue at all. And you, my dear, are virtue incarnate. I'm sorry the testing sucked so damned much, but you didn't break, you took a temper. And it's okay to accept that.
3. The pose is transparent. I wonder if you have any idea how many of your prickly comments about others turn like snakes and bite your own hand.
4. There's a fine line between angry young man and angry old man. (or woman, for that matter.)
5. I'm glad you're on our side.
6. When I imagine a warrior, you are the warrior I imagine.
7. You made a choice and regret it, and I'm sorry. But you have to live with that choice and build on. Letting your fury over the choice direct the rest of your life is only compounding the mistake. Choose growth over despair.
8. You probably shouldn't drink so much.
9. You are more powerful than you think. But you have a tendency to shake it off whenever somebody points it out to you. The first step to moving the world is picking up the lever. The second step is accepting that you have the strength to put that sucker where you want it. You gotta wanna. But you also have to believe you can.
10. A little less conversation, a little more action, please.
11. Cut yourself a little slack. You've overcome a lot to get where you are. You may feel like you're running behind, but the fact of the matter is, some of those people started a lot further up the track than you did, and didn't have the obstacle course to clamber over before they made it to the starting line. Account accomplishments as well as goals: you've covered a lot of ground to get here.
12. Chin up, old girl. In five years, we'll look back on this struggle--and crash into a parked car. But it'll still seem funny, anyway.
13. You don't actually have to do everything today.
14. I have no idea how you fit everything you do do into the same 24 hours the rest of us get. Kicking yourself for not accomplishing more is like whipping a horse that's carrying half again the handicap the others are hauling, and still pulling away.
15. We choose our own happiness.
16. Life is hard. Get a helmet. Nobody's coming to save you, and the only way out is through.
17. I love your enthusiasm, intellect, and passion. Keep it up.
18. You make so many beautiful things!
19. You enrich my life.
20. Thank you for keeping me sane.
(see next rock)